Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Wedding Celebration

This past Sunday, we participated in a 10-year wedding celebration at our T-3 church.  We have been attending this church regularly since we arrived as we didn't want to take our borrowed car (from a missionary friend) into the places we tend to go!  We have enjoyed that and enjoyed getting reconnected there.

Culturally, as in most cultures, Mozambicans celebrate weddings in a big way.  They also do rather significant recognition of wedding anniversary dates, 5 years, 10 years, and 50 years.  So, our 37 years - that will have to wait a few for a big celebration!  

Last Sunday, Isabel and Celso celebrated 10 years.  They are leaders at the T-3 church and we were privileged to participate in the ceremony which was very similar in all aspects to an actual wedding except that the vows were recommitments, which is a good thing that all of us married folks should consider from time to time.  I prepared my part of the ceremony, went over it with my Portuguese teacher, and then practiced it with whoever would listen!  Saturday I spent with the two guards who watch over the school and the property where we are living.  They had lots of good ideas and it allowed us to move into even more conversation about spiritual things.  I enjoyed that time under the cashew tree, just talking with these dear men.

The church started at 0900 and I think we left for the party a little after noon.  The celebration at their house lasted the rest of the day and we enjoyed singing, presenting gifts, and eating the standard party food, including rice, beef, chicken, cucumber salad with tons of mayonnaise, bread, a carrot salad, soft drinks, and of course cake.  There was also Shema, which I love, which is a corn-based meal much like grits.  And beans, always wonderful Mozambican beans.

I find myself much more relaxed at these affairs as we have enough language (with a long ways still to go) to converse and understand.  Such a far cry from when we first arrived over five years ago.  God is truly gracious and we thank Him for that wonderful provision.

A standard fair is for the singers / dancers to enter into a dance competition where one dancer challenges another and they dance to the song and clapping sung by all of us.  The challenged dancer attempts to keep up with the same fancy foot work as the sand flies and the sweat builds - it is truly amazing to watch and although to me they are both clearly outstanding, it to everyone else, there is always a recognized winner, who then challenges someone else.  Both men and women participate and I could only dream of moving that way.  There was a time that all the wedding participants danced with their wives within the circle of the singers and clappers, and we enjoyed that.

It was a great day and I did get to talk with one man at length about his life, his church history, and the reality of drawing close to God, which is different from attending church, and which is the key to a transformed life, which leads to the desire to be with God's people.   Leading lives of simple humility and casting away our foolish pride.

Speaking of pride, it is something God is always challenging me with.  Pastor Daniel invited me to dance with him (compete) and I declined - foolish pride.  I really need to get rid of that 'what will people think' thing - it would have been fun even though I would have been left in the dust - literally!    
Tomorrow we deliver a wedding dress to one of our rural churches for an upcoming wedding.  What a blessing these donated wedding dress are to the people here.  Thank you!

Wishing you God's blessing this day.

"Search me o God and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way everlasting."  Ps 139:23



This young man is the son of one of the couples we have worked with and who was born while we were gone.  Say "Boa Tarde!" to Claudio, son of Marcos Zito and Anita.  Precious little fellow with wonderful parents.















No comments: