Monday, August 10, 2009

Week's Summary

I have suddenly realized I haven’t written in the past week. I’ve started a couple of times but struggled with the topics, wrestling with what I want to write but you’ll have to wait for the book! I have a lot of topics I want to write about but need to understand so much more to provide any kind of realistic perspective or suggested solution, so I just ponder and try to gain experience. As the story goes, the young pup asked the aged man how did he get so good at making good decisions? The old man pondered the question a while and answered “from making bad decisions.” So, we’re still in the ‘making bad decisions mode’ so any book at this point would have little use to anyone! However, at 56, there’s not a lot of time left to become experienced so maybe that book will have to be written by a young pup who perseveres for 30 or so years. I think my friends Jason and Rachel may be the ones to write the book about 25 years from now except they already seem to be in the 'good decision' phase.

But I ramble. Much of our time the past week has been about administration. It was a week of reporting and we still aren’t done. Normal stuff that seems to take a lot more of our time than we would like (I’m sure many of you can relate to this!). In addition, we are entering our busy time of visitors and that always takes quite a bit of preparation and we have a Seminary dedication this Saturday and it seems that we’ll think of ‘something else we need to do’ right up to the moment of the service. So, it’s hard to write something spiritual about ‘do we have enough table cloths for the food,’ or ‘are the speakers all lined up,’ or ‘ooh, we didn’t know they were coming and where will we house them’ kind of things.

Wednesday our short-term computer wizard, Mike Gaunt, went with me to Khongolote and he checked out some problems they have been having with the computer we are using to manage the finances of the pre-school. He did some testing and some ‘tweaking’ and basically gave the computer a ‘thumbs up’ except for one small problem. There is no fan inside the casing. In addition, mice or rats had gotten in the casing and eaten a few wires before they blocked the hole! Anyway, Mike did his magic and everything is working well again except that we need to get a fan in the casing. When the guys at Khongolote did their upgrades to the computer, they removed the fan for some reason and so it was running slow because of heat buildup. Good thing it is winter here! He didn’t have a fan but it is an easy addition later on. It does make me wonder what happened to the fan. When I originally brought the computer out and put the second hard-drive in it and got it going, I know there was a fan in it. So, where did it go? Maybe the mice are more clever than I thought….
We also visited with Ricardo and Olga for a little while, the first time since they left the denomination a few months back. I just showed up with Mike, who knew them, and it provided a great opportunity to catch up and extend the hand of friendship. I still have my list of questions but that will wait for another more private time. They are pastoring a small church near one of our churches and actually we’re losing a few people to them. I suppose it should bother me, but it doesn’t at all. I know R&O very well; he is a good Pastor; and the people are in church and he is a dynamic leader so whether it be in one of our churches or another, it’s ok as long as the Word is being preached and lives are being transformed. My issue is more of wanting to fully understand what really happened and learning from it (see paragraph one above!).

Our short termer wanted to travel a bit in Mozambique and so we agreed to take him north to the city of Xai-Xai. I thought it would be good for him to experience the Bible School there as well as the agricultural project they have going to support the Bible School. In addition, we wanted him to meet the young couple running it as we thought he might enjoy a ‘younger’ perspective. So that was a quick two-day trip north. The photo is one we took of the beautiful undeveloped coastline near the Bible College. Breath-takingly beautiful. Mozambique has miles and miles and miles of rugged undeveloped coast line.

For me, one of the highlights was Jason and Rachel's ‘new’ second car. A fellow near them rebuilds VW beetles. They had bought a 1956 rebuilt Beetle. What many of you may not know is that my first car was a ½ 1962 other half 1963 VW beetle (two wrecked cars welded together but that is another story) that I did just about everything to. I was in heaven and couldn't wait to tinker! Jason had lots of questions and as we tinkered on the engine, it all started coming back to me about the carburetor rebuilding, adjusting valves, and all the tinkering those old models required. So, we started in to it and lost all sense of time. It wasn’t running exactly right and through our tinkering, it was running like a champ after a couple of hours and I don’t think I’ve smiled like that in a long time. But, things have changed, we got on the Internet and were able to look up part numbers and the like and I think their car is more like the Johnny Cash Cadillac from the song (It’s a 1962, 63, 64, 65, etc…..) The carburetor was a 1970, the engine a 1956, the rear deck 1975 plus, the rear fenders 1968, bumpers – who knows but certainly not 1956, I’ll guess 69. What a hoot it was. I got to drive it and I felt like I was 16 again for just a brief moment the memories flashed back - oh my. And everyone just loves it and waves and smiles as you drive by or was it my grin from ear to ear?! It was only $1500 and voila, a second car for when the other is in the shop – problem solved for few dollars. And they are great in the sand and mud (is why people make them into dune buggies!). So, that was probably a highlight of my week although it isn’t very spiritual!

We did start a fire in the engine while we were working on it; I only mention it here because if I didn’t, Ann would have to make mention of it. We did the manly thing and tried to blame it on two-year old Tristen who had climbed in and fiddled with the ignition while we were working on it – but the second fire when he wasn’t in the car ruined that idea! Just a wee problem with a wire that had no insulation on it and was grounding – we fixed it, but it was a bit exciting at the time....causing Jason to rightfully question my prowess as a 1956 VW mechanic. We came up with a list of the basic tools he needs to tinker with it and I just may have to make routine trips to Xai-Xai to satisfy my desire to make/tinker/fix cars (and see my surrogate grandson!).

Sunday, we went back to Intaka for church and to assist with communion as they had requested during our last visit. We arrived early but no leaders were there, in fact, they didn’t show at all. We asked about it but no one was sure. One of the ladies took charge and we worked with her to prepare for a communion service. We had a wonderful time of worship, prayer, and song followed by communion. The service is in the tribal language as many do not know Portuguese. I recruited one lady from the congregation to assist me with translating, but she had a difficult time understanding me. So, she became the Bible reader. A second lady whom we knew a little better and who understood my terrible accent volunteered to help me and so the three of us did the talking. Afterwards, I invited the preacher to come speak, only to find out that he didn’t show. I learned long ago to always be prepared with a message and this week had especially done some preparing in case. God knew and helped us through the language and although I did struggle with words, God was gracious and helped me with words I didn’t know I knew. I had gotten up quite early Sunday to study and pray, and had spent quite a bit of time reviewing Portuguese and some of the words I commonly mix up and wouldn’t you know that I needed each of those words. God doesn’t 'call the equipped, He equips the called'. Thank you Lord.

After Ann finished all her community health consults, we headed home, passing by two of the missing leader’s homes – one was traveling according to his children, probably a funeral although they wouldn’t say. The second was home and we talked for a while and listened to a long story of how one of his children (11 year old girl) didn’t return from school on Friday and he had spent day and night looking for her – finally found her. Because of this, he didn’t return home until 3 in the morning Saturday and so he decided to not go to the church. Certainly understandable, but I still don’t quite understand the story because he has young children at his house and this daughter lives at another house and ……well, after traveling in circular discussion for a while, I decided we might pursue it a bit more later when we weren’t all so tired! Thankfully the daughter was safe at home although there is some sort of Tribunal (judge) review this week about it all because the police were involved with the search. So, you probably think I’m some sort of crazy, but honestly, I understood all the words he was saying, but the conversation traveled in a circle as it often does when they don’t quite want you to know everything, and you have to just let it lay for the time being. He certainly didn’t have to tell me anything and we are thankful that everyone is ok. The rest of the story will probably come later, as is usually the case. But there seem to be some red flags flying…..

Today we spent precious time with our wonderful seminary guys; getting reports on the classes in progress; meeting and planning this weekend’s events and doing quite a bit of phone work. The days go by so quickly. In the morning we hope to finalize our review and comment on the church discipline draft before going to our team business meeting. Juka should be arriving tomorrow or the next day from the north also – somehow we must squeeze in significant time with him about our church planting program. He will also want our comments on the discipline!

Blessings,

Dave & Ann

“Or, say, one person thinks that some days should be set aside as holy and another thinks that each day is pretty much like any other. There are good reasons either way. So, each person is free to follow the convictions of conscience.” Romans 14:5 (The Message)

No comments: