Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Update

We've received a number of requests to know about the water situation in Mocuba. Two weeks ago, we drilled in two locations on the property and hit rock at 60 meters but no water, even though there is water at 40 meters all around us. Go figure... We reported that the expert for the well drilling company was due back and would visit the site on Thursday; well TIA (this is Africa) and Thursday could mean any thursday, or a day near thursday, or just what we wanted to hear.....so, the latest is that he is due tomorrow. We are still praying for resolution. The project is progressing well and we are bringing water in from the closest well to mix concrete and mortar.

While we were traveling in the north, we visited several new churches that are also being used as training centers that I should mention and that I think I promised to mention in an early blog entry. As we were headed to Nampula from Mocuba, we offered a ride to one of our trainers who was headed to a training session at a church in a place called Erua. It was about an hour north of Mocuba on a horrible road and the turn-off was no more than a path through some tall weeds. We drove back up this path with me sweating about how we would start the car (push starting because the starter was acting up) out of there. We arrived at a small church where we were able to visit with the church members and planters. When we drive into these places, just the presence of our car draws attention and many visitors come to see what is happening. We listened to their stories and asked questions about the training they were receiving. Aimee brought a special Bible study to the group and after a nice visit, we had to move on. It was early in what was to be a wonderful and full day. In appreciation, they brought us some produce and cane to take with us, including some lovely avocados. I just love the avocados here and here in Mozambique they make a dessert with sugar, a touch of lemon, and mushed avocados that is to die for! I can't recall the name for it but you would love it. (side note - I had to correct the spelling of avocados because I'm thinking food but writing about Avogadro's number - is that some sort of brain thing?)

Mmmmmm, I must be hungry.

We sat on small benches made from home-made mud bricks. The sun trickled through the openings and I had to pinch myself and the absolute privilege to even be there. Afterwards, I gave one of our volleyballs to the kids in the church and we played a bit in the open area in front of the church but our time was short. They wanted to feed us, but we had many stops before arriving in Nampula late that evening. We were invited back for church on Sunday, but again it was not possible this time; another village area drilled into my heart.

Lord grow them in knowledge and power. Empower Mario as he teaches them your word and for each of the church planters he is meeting with us. May the truth of your Word take hold in this community. Meet the many needs in ways that make it clear it is Your provision.

On the way back from Nampula, we thought we were stopping at the Elope center, where we have visited many times before. We had dropped the trainer off at the road on our way to Nampula as he had a weekend of training to give and we would stop on our way back through. We we made the turn that I knew well, we arrived at the Elope center to find that the church was still there but the family we knew had moved to be closer to their farm, which was a great disappointment to me personally as I really enjoyed talking with one of the sons of this family who was a hard worker and worship leader at the church. But, someone is waiting at the church - the training center has been torn down and moved down the ridge. He points us on down the path and down we go across narrow little bridges on a road that hasn't seen a car for a very long time. People are waving at us and at a few "Y's" in the road, a church member is waiting to point us the right direction. we wind along this windy mountain path, finally arriving at the center at Naritete. We know Dinis the trainer well and sit in the back of the center and participate in the training. We are introduced to the church planters and hear their testimonies. We are introduced and then spend some time talking to various individuals.

I was amazed at the tremendous growing season they have had, everything was so green and lush - a great harvest was being brought in for which everyone was so thankful. Much different than last year! As the day wound down, we needed to go to be out to the main road and well on our way back to Mocuba before night. In appreciation they brought food, a chicken, casava, corn meal, as appreciation for our visit and we all sang together. I always am uncomfortable taking these gifts, but culturally we honor the giver by accepting the gift. I pray God will return their generosity 10-fold.

Juka started to tie the chicken to the top of the car, but the ladies were not happy with this as the chicken needed to live to stay fresh for dinner later. We found a plastic bag, tied the feet, and it stayed inside the car. And, we were asked to squeeze a mom and her sick baby into the car with us and our load, making it work. Turns out the mom was a distant relative of Antonio in Mocuba who wanted a ride to his house.

So, off we go, but now I'm going up some steep rocky inclines where 4-wheel drive is essential. We crawl out to the main highway and I offer a prayer of thanksgiving that we didn't blow a tire or break something on the rocks. The kids remember me bringing a soccer ball before, but we're out and it breaks my heart. We will bring more next time; that is all we can do.

The generosity of the people is beyond compare. The joy of the Lord is their strength and it was an honor to be with and worship God with our dear brothers and sisters.

As we left, Ann and Aimee had this discussion about how they felt like God was just showing us with great pleasure, "this is my church that I have grown and it pleases me." What an amazing feeling to for just an instant see a small glimpse of God's pleasure and love for His people. I am so glad His grace covers me.

What about you? He is always so close, waiting on us to lay all our stuff down and simply do what he told his disciples, "follow me..."

Blessings,

Dave & Ann

"And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." 2 Co 12:9

No comments: