Sunday, November 6, 2011

Weddings


For the last three weekends, we have had the privilege of participating in wedding services at our T-3 church and the parties that follow afterwards.  It is a great honor to meet with and to pray with these young couples as they begin their covenant relationship together with the very Creator of the Universe.  These events make our days fly by and for me, it takes quite a bit of preparation to have my Portuguese all lined up before the service.  I utilize some of the guards at the place where we live, some of whom are pastors and church leaders, to help me with pronunciation and cadence as well as our language teacher who helps us on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  Language, language, language - it can be so frustrating as it really limits your effectiveness, but sometimes I think that is also a part of God's plan.  It keeps us humble.

It also provides a great time for fellowship, relationships, and learning about culture.  As an example, today's wedding was a bit different - the actual wedding had been at another church on Saturday, and it was more of a blessing this day vice a wedding.  But, we realized that it had a completely different feel than the other wedding celebrations we have attended, mostly associated with the OMS founded denomination we work with.  Maybe we are starting to recognize the subtleties of culture a bit better.  It is a long process.

Here are a few photos of some of the recent weddings.

This morning, we took our neighbor's three and 1/2 year old to church with us to give her mom a break.  We love this little girl, and it took us back to our days so long ago of our own precious daughters whom we miss so very deeply.  It was fun to have her with us; but she was running down a hallway and fell and skinned her knee - such drama that I hope doesn't keep us from being able to steal her away again some time in the future!

Much love.

Dave and Ann

"And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and Have not charity (love), it profiteth me nothing."  1 Corinthians 13:3

 


No comments: