Saturday, December 10, 2011

World Race

Our friends John Michael and Ashley
The days turn into weeks and the weeks into months, and suddenly you realize you haven't written for a while.  My apologies!

As I started to write this, my dear wife was doing some medical consultation at the door and searching for medicine to help someone.  She pretty much does this in her sleep anymore and has learned the common things here that cause people difficulty.  We brought a fair amount of medical supplies back with us and are going right through them.  She's been doing some on-line nursing things as well to do the requisite training to keep her license current and that has been something she has been enjoying.  She does love the nursing field.

We just returned from a medical trip for a couple of days in South Africa where I got another eye work-up related to the problems last August and a scary high pressure reading a couple of weeks ago and ended up with a clean bill of health for both the eye doctor and our general doctor here, getting some of our prescription meds going again.  On the way back, we got a call from a couple from our home church who were on their way to Mozambique from Cape Town on a bus, and could we host them, and oh by the way, there are 21 of them.  They are participating in a ministry called World Race.  They take a year of their life and travel to 11 countries, working in each one about a month on different ministry assignments.  It actually put a bit of a lift in our step to know we were getting visitors from home!  So, they came in for one afternoon and night and it was our joy to help them find transportation to the north of Mozambique where they were going to work in two different locations.

I took a picture of the license of the bus, just in case!
Ann whipped up a dinner for the 21 young people (something she loves to do) and we had a wonderful time getting to know them.  They are a few months into their journey, having visited China, the Philippines, South Africa, and now Mozambique.  And bright and early in the morning, the bus we arranged actually showed up and off they went with their back-packs to work.  We texted with them on their journey, which took something like 24 hours on what they called "a real African bus".

They told stories of being shook down for money by the border people when they entered Mozambique - that was their first impression, and then while we were arranging for some sort of reasonable transport for them, I made a wrong turn and they got to witness first hand the police corruption, for they took my license and wanted a huge fine.  I admitted fault and knew that the fine was 1000 mtn, but he was insisting on 5000 on the spot.  I had a copy of the law but we were in a hurry and to work your way through this corruption can easily take an hour or two, so I ended up paying 2500 on the spot to get my license back - which of course he wouldn't receipt.  It's the first time since returning I've had to deal with this but it got quite ugly and he was going to keep my license for three months and I wouldn't be able to drive; he kept making different kinds of threats and didn't let up until I finally say that I would just have to leave the country because I couldn't work if I couldn't drive and I would all our workers lose their jobs - is that what you want?  I was willing to pay the fine but he was be corrupt and was damaging his country.  At that, he came to 2500, which in my frustration I paid and went on my way - all right in front of the Mozambique capital building with the flag flying on top.  Then one of the Racers said 'welcome to Mozambique'.  First impressions - you get one chance to make them......  But, I have to admit, I was at fault.....

Anyway, it really was a bright spot to have the racers here and I was able to have some good conversations with several of them, and it is always good to hear how God is working in the lives of His people.

Today we had the joy to participate in a baptism service at one of our churches.  The entire area around the church has been without water for nearly a year and the estimate is the required infrastructure upgrades will be completed by May.  So, the ladies of the church carried water in buckets for nearly a mile to fill a rather large baptismal.  Quite a sacrifice as the people being baptized were from a remote church outside the city and were using the facilities of one of our larger city churches.

I don't think I will ever get used to the length of services (3 hours for this one), but that is one of the big cultural differences I've spoken of before - Americans have watches and Mozambicans have time.  They asked me to speak a word of encouragement at the end, which was my privilege, and a great homework assignment to work with my Portuguese teacher.  

That's probably enough for tonight.  I have many things on my mind to write but need to think them through a bit more before I write them up!

Thank you for standing with us.

We just issued our monthly and quarterly church planting reports and continued to be amazed at what God is doing throughout this beautiful country.  We have just received news that we have our first 4th Generation church planted!

Dave and Ann

May we all be able to say:

  "I have fought the good fight, I have completed the race.  I have kept the faith."  2 Timothy 4:7

1 comment:

TACORT said...

How great to hear about you guys! And to see the Lord lifting your spirits with the visit from Ashlee and John and their Race teamates! We so do miss you! As 2012 is rolling in and I continue to joke that "This is the year the Lord comes back (according to the Mayan calendar! That's a joke, that's a joke!), how I wish it would be so! Imagine no corruption ANYWHERE! You see it out in the open, we deal with it after the fact here in the states. Bottom-line, it still happens. And I could NEVER think you were at fault during that license bit! May you be strengthened anytime that happens again and may the individual doing the corruption be ashamed of his/her misdeeds if it ever happens again! I wish I could be there to see it when it happens!

Dave and Ann, we rejoice that you are committed to doing the Lord's work in Mozambique! May the blessing you receive be immeasurable in the coming year and all your lives touch know that you are messengers from God! God Bless and keep strong! Tom.